[Market-farming] beans

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Oct 19 05:42:54 EDT 2003

> Willie, we have been picking that patch of pinto beans for over ten days with

I'm glad they work for you and appreciate the comments; maybe I should
try some grocery store pinto snaps.  Generally, snap beans are a very
marginal crop for us; they are in good demand, but we never seem to
produce significant volume for long enough to make them worth while.

> What tomato varieties do well for you?  I have a French plum tomato that we
> have grown almost exclusively (it's the best) but want to branch out to some
> heirloom slicers.

I grow, almost exclusively, standard hybrids: Bingo, Whirlaway,
Surefire (I hear that Surefire will no longer be available), Jackpot,
etc.  There was some buzz about "440" or "1440" or something like that
this year; I had a few flats,  but did not pay attention to how they
produced.  I had a few Juliete small romas that did noticeably well; I
will try to grow more of those next season.  I had some Brandywine that
were planted too late and produced nothing.  But, here is my success
story on tomatoes for this year:  Our primary tomato crop here is
planted in March and April for late May to July production.  Heat in
July, August, and sometimes June prevents set on most tomato varieties.
Most years, I try to make a May planting and hope for some August
production.  This year, I had Sunmaster plants for May planting, but we
were too busy with blackberries to put them out.  I finally got them out
in June and expected nothing from them.  Three factors came together to
give me September tomatoes: 1) the right variety, unusual late planting
in June, relatively mild temperatures in July.  We are still gleaning a
few fruit from those Sunmaster fields.  Those September tomatoes were
sure easy to sell!  Now, I wish I had made another Sunmaster planting in
July.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Linux system uptime  133 days  8 hours 48 minutes