[Market-farming] Mâche

adriana gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Sat Oct 18 07:57:08 EDT 2003

> Mache also likes cold soil so don't plant it until the soil is under
> 50?F. I notice our naturalized mache doesn't germinate until November

When I lived in Florida, I had good luck getting mâche to germinate by
wetting the seed, wrapping it in a damp paper towel and putting it in the
refrigerator for a couple of days, then planting it.

Note:  If you think that by growing mâche you are offering a unique, hard to
get niche product, beware....
There is a large California grower,  Epic Roots http://www.epicroots.com/,
who is  producing mache for a very low price. Their product is in wide
distribution in the mainstream wholesale channels (Sysco, etc).  It is
selling to restaurants for $10/# and the quality is good.  I don't find $10
a pound at all appealling for a crop that takes 52 days to produce and has a
fairly low yield per square foot.  Love the taste, however.

Adriana