[Market-farming] hello???

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Fri Oct 17 21:16:40 EDT 2003

> Willie, my husband was reading over my shoulder about the tractor and he
> says:
> "set the cultivator behind the tractor and drive, never look back.  If you
> look back, you will move one hand or the other and the tractor will turn.  If
> you want to look back and see what it's doin' STOP, and then look back.  You
> cannot control it if you're lookin' back."   yahda, yahda, as he left and went
> back out to the shop to get a beer.  I'd listen to him:  nobody plows a
> straighter row than Michie Akin.     He has three old Kabotas.

Any of the Kubotas have more than about 16" of ground clearance?  My
most used tractor is a 25hp Mitsubushi R2500; I've used it with very
little trouble for more than 20 years.  Also have a 30-35hp IH B210 and
a 60hp JD 3010.

I can attest that whenever I look back I put a kink my row.  I do find
it impossible to not turn the wheel whenever I look back.  And I can
cultivate with little looking back.  However, my PlanetJrs are quite
prone to clogging and, in many situations, need constant monitoring.
In my judgment, it is better to have crooked rows than to pull a
clogged planter half a row.

> Next year, buy a 4 # bag of Casserole pinto beans at the grocery and plant
> them for fresh snap beans.  For the winter, we have gorgeous salads coming on in
> the tunnel.

We have customers that occasionally ask for pinto snap beans.  They are
little grown here for the following reasons:
1) They must be picked at just the right stage, else they are stringy
and tough.  I think the picking window is only about a day.
2) Compared to other green beans, they are smaller and therefore more
costly to pick.
3) Demand is relatively low; they do not compete well in appearance
with other green beans.

"Green Crop" is my favorite bean.

We are getting dry here, too.  But just recently.  For the past few
weeks we have had enough moisture for germination; I have some spinach
and onion that has recently come up.  We are preparing to irrigate,
though.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Linux system uptime  132 days 28 min minutes