[Market-farming] hello???

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Fri Oct 17 11:51:31 EDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:50:45 -0500, you wrote:

>> Mizuna is said to be very frost-hardy and it's a nice plant,
>> decorative, and the leaves are good for a salad or mesclun
>> mix or for a stirfry.
>>
>> Raddichio, arugala - also for salad mixes.
>>
>> Baby bok choy?
>
>Thanks for those suggestions, just what I was looking for!  Mizuna was
>below my radar, I'll take a look at it.  Arugula, though I failed to
>mention it, is already on my list.

Evergreen sells mizuna seeds.  It's easy to grow, although
subject to the usual cabbage-family pests (probably not in
winter) and it's fast too.

http://store.yahoo.com/evergreenseeds/japgreenmiz.html -
this isn't a very good picture of it though - they've
photographed it from the bottom, which was kind of strange.
It's prettier than that in reality.

If you're not familiar with Evergreen, they really have a
terrific selection of Asian veggie seeds.

The baby bok choy I grew last spring was this one:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/chincabhybgr.html

I really liked it, it's great in a stir-fry.

>> Depends on your market I suppose - what do people want to
>> buy?
>
>TOMATOES :-)    :-(
>
>And whatever else we don't have.

>And then when we have it, they want something else.  Such is farmers
>marketing.

Wouldn't you just know it!  I'm hoping to start selling at a
very small local farmers market next season, and I'm sure
I'll discover this for myself.

>I go into this winter farmers market with some skepticism.  We need
>items that will sell at the rate of $50-$100 per session; most of what
>I can identify sells $5-$20 per session.  Maybe I just need to raise my
>prices :-)  "no, sales are poor, but I need to sell only one for $400".

Let us all know what sells for $400, please...

Good luck!

Pat