[Market-farming] Greens

adriana gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Fri Oct 3 13:31:49 EDT 2003

Roger,
I used to seel greens to restaurants.  Strandard industry pack size for
mesclun mix is a 3# bag.  Before you begin production make sure you can make
money at it.  With good quality mesclun available through wholesalers for
under $3 a # here on the East Coast, restaurants may not be willing to pay
the premium at which will allow a small "boutique" operation to make money.

About washing...I didn't wash mine because they were hydroponic and very
clean; depending on the cleanliness of your product you might not have to.
But be sure to explain to the chefs that they need to wash them before
using.

> If anyone out there does sell greens to restaurants, I'd appreciate any
> insight on preparation, storage and packaging.  For instance, do your
> restaurants want washed greens?  Do they want them in boxes, or bags?  Do
> they want mixed greens, like a mesclun mix?

Adriana