[Market-farming] Compost

CAVM at aol.com CAVM at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 19:52:23 EDT 2003

Nicole,

If your compost is made properly you should have little trouble with weed
seeds. Tomato seeds are about the hardest to kill, others should be not much
trouble.

Heating the compost on a stove kills the beneficial microbes which you
encouraged during the composting process.  Compost is not so much a fertilizer as a
breeding ground for beneficial microflora.  Worm castings are even more so.

"Organic Humus"
 could be almost anything that was left to rot.  You should have a clear idea
of what you are using and use it with a purpose.

Kris Kring of the KY Dept. of Ag is getting the state certification issue
straightened out as quickly as he can. It is a shame it takes so long.

With the demise of the contract worm business in the Midwest and South there
should be huge quantities of worm castings looking for a home.  This is the
premier potting and transplant ingredient.

We have been composters for almost 20 years but do little work in small scale
operations.  However, there are many skilled producers who work with small
composting projects suitable for gardeners and small farmers.  Perhaps a visit
to Allison's seminar on her hoop house production would be a good introduction
to soil conditioning.  She is nearby.

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc.
cavm at aol.com