[Market-farming] Re: VA Winter crops

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Wed Oct 1 21:09:57 EDT 2003

Cindy
	Hmm, I wonder if we're in the new zone 7 now,
or still the old 6b? Forecast of scattered frost
tomorrow night.... We grow kale (outside, not
protected), spinach and lettuce under hoops and row
cover, salad mix including tatsoi, arugula, Russian
kales and lettuces, under row cover. Also garlic and
potato onions (plant and roll those big round bales of
mulch hay on top) outdoors. We're busy putting up
our gothic arch hoophouse....and covering the celery,
late cucumbers and squash and Chinese greens with
row cover to extend the season as long as possible.
	Who knows about celeriac? I've got it. Do we
need to harvest before frost or not??
	Last year I really messed up the sweet potato
harvesting. This year we dug them early. I read that
the ideal curing conditions are 80-90F and 85-90%
humidity. What about the less than ideal 70-75F and
60-65% humidity? Will it work??
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA