[Market-farming] row covers

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Wed Nov 26 16:45:47 EST 2003

> The
> issue is how to get back under the covers and out of them
Allan - to risk sounding like a broken record (I don't know how many times
I've sent this response) I use Johnny's re-pins - 300 for $55 and they are
worth every penny.  I've used the same box now for three or more years.  I
push them through the row cover every 6 or so feet and they have held row
cover in 60 mph winds, I guarantee it.  When I want to get into a row, I
pull the pin and cover together the length of the row (or however far I
need) and toss them towards the far side - the pins will usually stay in the
cover.  And if they don't they are easily found since they are red - again
much more gentle on lawn mowers and tillers than the steel earth staples
when you do lose one and hit it.

When I bought them it seemed like I was spending a fortune but then I
considered them an investment and they have turned out to be that.  I can't
tell you how many stones, bricks, rebar, 2 x 4's, etc. I've lugged to the
fields - and lost!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas