[Market-farming] row covers

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Wed Nov 26 11:59:42 EST 2003

We use 5 to 8 pound rocks spaced about every
12" for heavy winds (30 mph+). We put really
heavy (15 lbs+) rocks on the ends usually 3
to an end. This is where most of the stress
is and for covers to stay on they need to
stay as tight as possible over the hoops. We
also will put hoops over the covers to keep
them on or at least keep the covers from
blowing away. But it is VERY important to
have the covers pulled as tight as possible
before anchoring the edges. This is one of
the several reasons I do not like to bury the
edges-if the covers loosen up (which they
will after a few days in weather) it is a big
job to unearth the edges and get the them
tight. Earth covered edges also make it
really hard to remove the covers to check
crops for weeds and bugs which should be done
at least every 3 to 5 days, if not daily.
Rocks are a pain in many ways but they are
easy to remove and put back on and it is easy
for two people to pull a cover tight without
removing the rocks. At a certain point the
covers just don't want to stay on and we just
wait out the weather. We have had several
storms lately with 40 mph sustained winds
with 60 mph gusts.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste