[Market-farming] What is this plant?

Liz Pike liz at laughingbrookfarm.com
Fri Nov 21 22:15:28 EST 2003

Hey Marlin,

Around here it's simply called "Creasy Greens".  We didn't have it down on
the coast.  It's very prolific, even the convenience stores sell bushels of
it.  I think there was a thread on this last winter because I made the same
discovery.  It'll be interesting to see how differently (better??) it'll
grow with all the moisture we've had this past year.

I experimented with different ways of cooking it.  It cooks down
tremendously, as with all greens, (I guess that's why it's sold by the
bushel--takes alot to make a "mess").  The flavor is pleasant, though a bit
too much by itself depending on the individual plant.  I finally settled on
mixing it with spinach, just barely wilting it all in garlic olive oil and
serving it with a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Yum!

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com