[Market-farming] Cole crops and frost

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Sat Nov 15 07:05:00 EST 2003

Ken,

the cole crops you mention can take temps
around 25ûF if unprotected. Toss a 30 wgt row
cover and the cole crops will do great in
temps as low as 15ûF. put a hoophouse up
around the cole crops and they are good even
if the temps gp below zero. Our cole crops
survived -15 last winter in a hoophouse. They
only quit producing when we pulled them out
to make room for spring crops. We had kale
(winterbor) brussle sprouts & chinese cabbage
in the hoophouse last year.

This year we have B sprouts, cabbage, chinese
cabbage, broccoli, kale and spring mix in one
hoophouse and everbearing strawberries in
another. the strawberries don't seem to mind
the cold but the still air and condensation
in the hoophouse is causing lots of mold
problems. Need to figure out how to get air
moving. Unfortunately the structure is about
500' beyond the extent of any extension cord
so powering a fan is problematic.

W had cantaloupe in a hoophouse but decided
to let it die last week by not putting its'
row cover back on. we did cover some plants
in pots that were also using the hoophouse
(eggplant, tomatoes, rosemary). the end
result was lots of dead melon plants except
where a couple had crawled under the row
cover. everything that was covered showed no
signs of cold damage what so ever. Row covers
are remarkable things.

The quality of the strawberries and
cantaloupe have been excellent all
fall-extremely sweet and flavorful.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste