[Market-farming] Re: Weird Veggies vs. Whole Grains

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Tue Nov 11 09:08:17 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:44:35 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>  I can see what you mean about putting weird things like whole grains in
>with a CSA share.  I suppose my question about whole grains was meant as a
>kind of net to see who's out there.  I am reading Gene Logdson's book about
>raising all kinds of grains from wheat to corn, to rye, o rice, etc.  Also I
>am reading Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, which is great for whole grain
>breads.  I was hoping I would find a couple people that might have been
>following a similar line and have some experience with making great whole
>grain bread by having a small plot of some grain available
>"right-outside-the-door" for the freshest flour available.

I don't think you actually need the grain on the premises
for the freshest flour available:  the grain keeps
beautifully for ages.  You just need to grind the flour,
then make the bread right away.

So I think this is a flaw in your theory, in that your
customers can buy the grain almost anywhere (WaltonFeed.com
for instance).  I think you'd need to be price-competitive
with the big boys, as I suspect that anyone interested
enough in natural foods to bake their own bread and grind
their own grain is going to be aware of this.

I ground wheat for bread for years.  Sadly, I no longer have
the wonderful grain mill and cannot afford to buy one now.
Mine was a Retsel Mil-Rite and it made wonderfully fine,
smooth wholewheat flour that baked into great bread.
They're $400 now.  :(

http://www.retsel.com

Pat