[Market-farming] Re: Weird Veggies vs. Whole Grains

Paul A. Bock bockpa at plesh.com
Tue Nov 11 08:44:35 EST 2003

Hello,
  I can see what you mean about putting weird things like whole grains in
with a CSA share.  I suppose my question about whole grains was meant as a
kind of net to see who's out there.  I am reading Gene Logdson's book about
raising all kinds of grains from wheat to corn, to rye, o rice, etc.  Also I
am reading Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, which is great for whole grain
breads.  I was hoping I would find a couple people that might have been
following a similar line and have some experience with making great whole
grain bread by having a small plot of some grain available
"right-outside-the-door" for the freshest flour available.  Also I was
hoping that maybe I would find a couple people that grow their own grains to
feed as a supplement the normal feed ration to their cows, horses, oxen,
and/or chickens to curb a high feed bill.  I believe these people are out
there, maybe they just don't subscribe to this list.  It might be a
long-shot, but fresh whole-grain bread made with from-the-farm grains might
be a good CSA item.  But I also understand that good bread making could be a
whole extra occupation/endeavor all unto its own.  If there is anyone
interested in any of this, I would like to toss out another title that got
me started on all this stuff.  "Bread Builders" by Alan Scott, and I think
Dan Wing.  Basically how to make and bake bread in a masonry oven.  They
even tell you how to build one, oven that is.

-Paul Bock
Stone Gully