[Market-farming] Time to stock up on cats and dogs

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 10 21:22:20 EST 2003

Hi, Folks!

Since I have a rescue dog, I get updates from the regional rescue societies.

Supposedly, there is a serious overpopulation of cats and kittens right now
(both barn and pets) in the shelters in Southeastern Pennsylvania/NJ. Many
of these societies are desperate to find homes for barn cats.  If your farm
doesn't have barn cats, I highly recommend them -- our feral cats at the
community garden keep our growing areas free of rabbits, mice, voles and
rats -- I wouldn't want to be without them.

Our house was invaded by deer mice in early fall, but we lost *nothing*
because my indoor cat patrolled the kitchen and wouldn't let them out from
under the sink where they were entering.  Once we found out what was
happening, we got traps and seem to have gotten rid of them all, but we
could have had a horrible mess in the kitchen (lots of harvested food in
baskets laying around) if Lindsey hadn't perked up and abandoned the rest
of us to patrol the kitchen around the clock.

So, get kitties and get rid of rodents! :-)

Lots of rescue societies (at least here in urban areas) take in pregnant
dogs in the fall so that folks will adopt a rescue puppy for Christmas
instead of buying one from a pet store.  As someone who did it, I'd say
that training a puppy to be a good farm dog is A LOT easier in winter when
you aren't distracted by your plants than in the Spring.  Pepper is now 16
months old and even though the garden is frosted and harvested out, if she
sees something to chase out in the back of the garden, she goes full tilt
ON THE PATHS instead of through the growing beds! :-D

Of course, if you get one of the mommy dogs from a rescue society, they
will spay her first and she's probably already housebroken(which is nicer
than housetraining a puppy in January! ;-)).

Livestock -- it's not just cows, horses and goats! ;-)

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of