[Market-farming] Re: Hoophouse perimeter insulation

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Fri Nov 7 08:50:50 EST 2003

i attended Steve Moore's hoophouse workshop in PA,
so when we designed our hoophouse, we decided to
do perimeter insulation. We're in a similar climate
zone to Alison (6b), though we're in central Virginia.
Our greenhouse is still under construction (almost
finished!). It'll be hard to tell if the insulation is
worthwhile as we don't have a hoophouse without it to
compare with. maybe we can compare indoor and
outdoor temps with Alison's hoophouse?
	One thing I will say: we spent many hours digging
and back-filling to get the insulation in. The time was a
bigger investment than the cost of the blueboard. We
set it at a 45 degree angle, and tried to combine the
backfilling of the insulation trench with the construction
of a shallower ditch for rainwater runoff. If I reach any
conclusion about the worthwhileness or not, I'll post it.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA,