[Market-farming] Re: Is Micropropagation Organic?

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 14:59:23 EST 2003

Paul wrote:

>   What I want to know is if micropropagation is considered organic.

I think what you are describing is tissue culture.

>  In fact
>you can rapidly propagate a plant this way.

Depends on the plant just how "rapid" the propagation is. Serious plant
propagators tend to be very patient people! ;-)

>Apparently this is
>where a lot of those "plug" trays come from.  I first thought they were from
>seed.

Tissue culture is a LOT more expensive than seeds -- if it was that cheap
and quick, *all* seed potatoes would be formed from tissue culture because
it's the best way to produce virus-free potatoes.  Seed Savers Exchange,
USDA and the other major seed storage facilities are forced to use tissue
culture periodically to keep viruses out of potatoes, other tubers and
small fruits.  It's a common and accepted technique to save heirlooms that
have otherwise been contaminated. Garlic varieties really should be tissue
cultured from time to time, but no one has the money for it. :-(

>  But on the other hand, we are very close to the same
>techniques used to genetically modify plant DNA.

As someone who had reviewed (entirely too!) many books on GMOs, it's not
the same thing at all.  One might buy or have a lab give one the cells of a
plant one wants to play with, but the whole GMO process afterwards is
*very* different.

To ban tissue culturing would doom many heirloom plants to oblivion.  As a
seed saver and propagator myself, I think "organic" only comes into play
once you have a viable seed or plant to put in the ground.  It's about
growth rather than what one must do to resurrect a dying variety or species.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of