[Market-farming] Vineland, NJ

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Wed Nov 5 09:34:17 EST 2003

Funding and planning was simple, it was the 1930's. Back then we had no
California, Arizona, Florida, Mexico mega vegetable farms, there was no
interstate trucking  or imports from Chile, all food was local. Southern NJ and
neighboring Delaware was ideally suited for vegetable farming and the northeast
was the densest populated area of the country. Another thing that helped was a
local farmer named Seabrook who co-invented frozen foods along with Birdseye, he
had a 55000 acre farm here that after WW2 was broken up into private small farms
owned by his former field workers, which were mostly Italian immigrants,
interned Japanese US citizens and Nazi POW's who were brought here to pull weeds
until the war ended...
Unfortunately the economic forces at work in the US at this time would make it
virtually impossible to create another place like Vineland, southwestern
agribusiness has marginalized us, we are now just a "fill in" market when a
shortage pops up in an Arizona lettuce field... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.