[Market-farming] side of the road flowers

Hook Family guldann at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 27 14:42:07 EDT 2003

Given the prices that most of the side of the road flower vendors charge I
can't imagine they are purchasing them from local or even American growers.
Yes the flowers were grown somewhere but at what cost?

See

http://www.emagazine.com/may-june_1999/0599curr_flowers.html

I don't think any small farmer/flower grower could raise flowers cheaply
enough to sell to side of road sellers.  If I ever developed my flower
growing it will only be retail and or to quality venues for fair price (to
me).  While of course I want to make some money on my growing I really want
the satisfaction of having my product appreciated.

"Side of the road" or "Cheap Food" mentality is part of the problem in
attracting customers to small farms.  I am optimistic that there is a
growing clientele.

Beth