[Market-farming] Harvesting Garlic

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Sun May 25 08:36:45 EDT 2003

Jim wrote:

>Since we are on the subject of garlic, when should it be harvested for
>the bulbs?

When 40% of the leaves are brown (of course, different varieties have
different numbers of leaves, so check now to see how many leaves your
garlic has).  Late June through July here in Southeastern PA.

>Someone told me that it should be pulled when the bloom pod
>pops open.

I'm trying to develop a market for the scapes here in PA -- if you cut them
off, the bulbs will be bigger.  However, if you cut them off too soon, the
bulbs may not store as long.

>I have always waited till fall when the stalk has dried
>down.

Wow! And the bulbs didn't pop open such that the individual cloves were
exposed?  And you could actually save cloves for planting next
year?  Someone tell me again why I'm living in PA! ;-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of