[Market-farming] A couple of questions for more experienced farmers

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Thu May 22 07:21:36 EDT 2003

Friends -

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm following in someone else's shoes this
season. This has brought up a couple of questions about things I
havent had to deal with, things I haven't had to deal with before.

I have a bunch of over-wintered leeks. Some of them are starting to
flower. Are they ruined as food leeks if they flower? Or will they
continue to 'fatten' after flowering? What should I do?

I have a lot of culinary sage, something I've never been blessed with
before. It's starting to bloom. Are the blue flower spikes worthwhile
as cut flowers? Should I have cut back the sage before it flowered?
Should I cut it back now that it has flowered?

Similar question about oregano and thyme: do I have to keep them cut
low to get the most out of them, or can I let them get gangely?

Now a more perenial question:

I had a couple of shareholder volunteers working with me the other
day. One of them said 'I'd rather work naked than get any of that
dirt on the knees of my jeans." Well, it's fine with me if
shareholders want to work naked, but I'm not going to do it. I am
wondering, though, if anyone on this group has found a reliable way
of removing soil stains from the knees of jeans. Such information
sure would be welcome in this household!

thanks

-Allan
in Virginia