[Market-farming] Tanglefoot

mf at austinfarm.org mf at austinfarm.org
Wed May 21 13:03:09 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:26:39PM -0000, Cyndi Norman wrote:
>    From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock at thirdplanet.net>
>    Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:21:24 -0500
>
>    What is Tanglefoot?
>
> This stuff is so sticky that if you put it on something it will almost
> never come off, hence the paper.  You do have to check the coverage though
> cause dust and etc will create "roads" for the ants.  Avoid getting it on
> your hands or clothes.  It's safe but really annoying.
>
> I've used it in the past for ants successfully.  As others have posted, it
> also is what you smear on fly traps to renew them.

Many years ago, I had a leaf cutter ant problem on peach trees.  I had
about 100 newly planted leafed out trees that were being completely
defoliated at the rate of about 1 a day.  One of my attempts at control
was Tanglefoot, a band around each trunk a couple of inches wide.  It
only took a few days for blown dust to render the Tanglefoot
ineffective.  Re-applying to a hundred trees every few days was more
than I was willing to do.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin