[Market-farming] garlic scallions & greens

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Wed May 21 08:55:57 EDT 2003

I'm assuming you are talking about green garlic, the garlic that is
harvested before it begins bulbing?  We sell a lot of it and usually don't
intentionally plant it - well once in a while its intentional but normally
its bulbs that were left in during the digging the previous year.  Right now
I have an entire row of green garlic that I'm harvesting that was a row I
just didn't get dug last year in the heat and drought.  So I just pull the
bunch of garlics (usually over ten in a bunch), spray them to remove last
year's debris and bunch them in bunches of six or so.  They sell for $1.25
at our market and once folks use them they can't get enough.

I have taken the tiny bulbs when planting garlic and stuck them in in the
end of a row about two inches apart and that will work also.  Since we plant
so much garlic I have it all over the farm and the green garlic is a bonus
for spring sales.  I usually harvest between late March and early June -
once it really starts bulbing it become quite fibery.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas