[Market-farming] Re: Germination Chamber

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Fri May 16 09:31:58 EDT 2003

To germinate seedlings I use an old (unplugged!)
refrigerator, with a light bulb as the heat source.
Different wattage bulbs provide different operating
temperatures. The seed flats sit on the wire shelves.
When I have boxes of soil blocks I feel like I'm putting
a tray of brownies in the oven! It's not dark in there,
but the light isn't sufficient to prevent leggy seedlings,
so I need to remove the flats immediately after
germination. Basically the old fridge is just a free,
convenient, insulated closet.
	Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa,
Virginia