[Market-farming] Free Range Chickens in the Garden

Leigh Hauter lh at pressroom.com
Fri May 16 07:16:16 EDT 2003

With all due respect to anyone that would believe we should make our
fields a sterile factory floor, I must say, there are big differences
between a food processing plant and a field of vegetables. The idea
that a 'farmer' is going to cut down all the trees on his/her farm to
'discourage' birds from dropping guano on his/her fields would be
humorous if it isn't so sad. (actually, I would suspect the real
reason anyone would really do this is to discourage crop damage -
this is a really big issue, did you know the USDA poisons hundreds of
thousands of birds each year to prevent crop damage to, get this,
bird feed crops).

  If the real reason was to limit guano in the field what are they
doing about the field mice?  How about earthworms?  And I would be
especially worried about that large black snake crawling across by
vegetable field in search of the wayward rodent.  And if this is all
in order to protect against e-coli (what's the number of the e-coli
that is dangerous?) they should be concentrating on the correct
vectors, which isn't blackbirds to humans.

Yes, we all want sanitary practices but I doubt that it is anyone's
science based policy to kill off a natural level of animal life in
vegetable fields to promote food safety.  Most of the hysteria about
compost/manure/disease/e-coli is based on sloppy science (ie
stossel/avery) who can't seem to get their e-coli's or vectors
straight.

So, let's get back to why you wouldn't want chickens running loose in
your vegetables. You don't want to do it for the same reason the USDA
is spending your tax money to poison birds.  Crop damage. It isn't
that a couple chickens in the vegetables are going to 'poop' all over
the vegetables (if it were, as anyone who has ever come in contact
with these paradigms of cleanliness knows, the idea that humans would
eat a chicken, especially a chicken raised in a commercial chicken
house, would be quickly nixed). You don't want chickens, or for that
matter guineas in your vegetables  because they damage certain
vegetables.  Particularly tomatoes. A peck here and a peck there soon
adds up to an awful lot of damaged fruit.