[Market-farming] Free Range Chickens in the Garden

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Thu May 15 22:04:10 EDT 2003

Don't ever allow chickens or any other animals in an area actively
producing food. Do they allow pets in restaurants of grocery stores ?
no...
Some of our local greens and lettuce growers took a tour of a farm that
grows and packages salad mixes for supermarkets, they saw no trees from
horizon to horizon when asked why? they said, they don't want to
encourage birds to fly over the fields.
If a bird poop is found on a lettuce plant a ten foot circle is marked
off and nobody can pick any lettuce from that area. The same if a dog or
coyote poops in the field.
In the packing house after the lettuce is washed nobody can even touch
the produce, for fear of spreading E coli. One of our growers picked up
a head of lettuce, the packing line was shut down and all the lettuce
removed and the line was disinfected.
Theses guys take sanitation very seriously , we should do the
same...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.