[Market-farming] Germination chamber?

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Wed May 14 14:32:03 EDT 2003

When light is needed for germination the seed is sown on the media
surface. I have found the easiest way to get max. germ is to place an
empty plug tray upside down on top of the seeded tray. The drain holes
in the plug tray provide all the sunlight the seeds will need without
the danger of drying out or burning up the seeds. you must have bottom
heat, this method works for me every time and as a bonus the plug tray
keeps the mice out. For darkness I only apply a dusting to a 1/4 inch of
vermiculite over the seeds then a plug tray on top... In the winter
after covering trays I lay a sheet of clear plastic over the top to hold
the heat and humidity in...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.