[Market-farming] Growing potatoes in tires

Mike Bosko mjbosko at jmtsystems.com
Wed May 14 10:31:58 EDT 2003

Grow in bags?

-----Original Message-----
From: market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Alliums
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 7:16 AM
To: Market Farming
Subject: [Market-farming] Growing potatoes in tires

LaDonna wrote:

>  I am planning on growing them in old, stacked tires. Has any one used
> this method and was it successful?

Don't do it.  Rodale for years claimed that it was safe and I had gardeners
who were happy with the results.  However, in the past two years, studies
all over (including at Rodale) have concluded that Zn, hydrocarbons and
heavy metals DO migrate from the tires to the taters -- so no one is
recommending planting in tires anymore.

The reason why there were so many studies is that folks were hoping to
encourage 3rd World city dwellers to grow their food this way, but the
intensive study results weren't good, so now such folks are encouraged to
grow in bags, rather than old tires.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of