[Market-farming] tomato taste and potato planting

Hook Family guldann at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 14 08:20:54 EDT 2003

I rather thinks its fun that tomato taste can't be "officially" tested for.
I say find a tomato(s) that grow well and tastes good to you and your
customers.  I think most direct farm customers are so pleased to have a non
grocery store tomato that they find the taste is better than what they
usually have.

Potato planting I have never grown them in containers but we cut them
usually in 1/2 or 1/3s sometimes in quarters.  I try to get two eyes in each
chunk.  The eyes do not need to be sprouted.  We almost never cure them.
Cut and plant.  The only time they get a chance to dry out is if we run out
of planting time for a day and they sit for a day.

We are on our fourth year with Organic potatoes from Moose Tubers a division
of Fedco seeds.  We get them via the bulk order of NOFA.  Even so we were a
bit sticker shocked at the price compared to off the shelf garden store.
But we have found that the germination is 50 to even 100% better.  Our first
year we used them the area we planted got flooded well about 1/3 of it.  But
the rest of the harvest was very adequate.  The past two years planted in
"normal" location and we've gotten alot of potatoes.  I had enough for 4lb a
week for 35 CSA members for 13ish weeks plus some to sell at a coop and of
course some for myself.  I'd still be eating some but my basement is too
warm for great storage.

Beth