[Market-farming] Indterminate vs determinate tomatoes

Jay Atkerson jatkerso at bowlinggreen.net
Tue May 13 21:20:09 EDT 2003

Thanks for the responses to my question: Research on the comparison of indeterminate vs. the determinate tomatoes.

I am especially interested in Rob's response since I had never heard that the more leaves and more photosynthesis probably increases flavor.  It has been my experience with our subscription gardening business that the indeterminates were more desired by our subscribers.  After several years of trying varieties such as the determinate Celebrity, customers favored the indeterminate Big Beef variety.  Tomatoes seem to grow well and taste great in our soil and climate.  (Clay-mix of soil in a Southern Kentucky [6B] climate where limestone is prevalent.  My personal choice is an old indterminate variety Rutgers, but it is more disease prone and has a shorter harvest season.

Does the Johnny's experience indicate leave pruning is counter-productive?

Thanks

Jay Atkerson-- Original Message -----