[Market-farming] blossom end rot

Alliums garlicgrower at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 14:06:46 EDT 2003

Hi, Folks!

I agree that BER can be a variety-specific problem - one of the reasons
it's best to "grow-out" an heirloom tomato or talk to a nutty seed saver
before planting out.  Around here, the PA Dutch heirlooms tend not to have
it, but with all the tomatoes I've grown out for SSE, I've found that some
varieties get it and never lose it when grown in SE PA! :-(

Considering that there are enough tomato varieties to choose from, no one
should have to spend time spraying their tomatoes with anything. . .find a
different variety and spend your time doing something else! ;-)

> >I've never had it except for San Marzano plum tomotoes!

My San Marzanos did fine, but they were awfully small, so I recommend Amish
Paste (large! tasty!) or Principe Borghese if you want small. I think the
only paste I'm doing this year is White Star, which is a "white" (really
yellow -- why do they call these tomatoes "white"?), but I'll have to look
at my list -- I just grow what I'm told! ;-D

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of