[Market-farming] blossom end rot

Liz Pike liz at laughingbrookfarm.com
Thu May 8 16:59:54 EDT 2003

I keep coming across comments that trellising tomatoes also increases the
threat of blossom end rot (I never noticed this in my own tomatoes). I
understand blossom end rot is the result of a lack of calcium or low ratios
of calcium to potassium and nitrogen.  I also know that trellising stresses
tomatoes slightly.  Would stress, trellising, inhibit moisture uptake by the
plant, thereby decreasing calcium availability to plant tissues, thereby
increasing blossom end rot??  I'm having a hard time making the connection
between trellis stress and blossom end rot.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com