[Market-farming] Flower Crop Rotations

sunnfarm at netscape.net sunnfarm at netscape.net
Wed May 7 21:13:07 EDT 2003

Get a copy of Allan Armitage's book Specialty Cut Flowers. He lists soil born diseases and insects like parasidic nematodes that will carry over in the soil for years on certain flowers.
Most cut flower growers fumigate or steam sterilize the planting beds before every crop. I have seen flowers grow side by side on old soil and fumigated soil and though both flower beds were producing, the fumigated bed flowers were much better, like night and day.I think a cover crop of rape mixed with sudangrass works like an organic fumigant...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.