[Market-farming] Clopyralid gets expanded label

sunnfarm at netscape.net sunnfarm at netscape.net
Tue May 6 21:31:46 EDT 2003

The herbicide clopyralid marketed as "Stinger", has just been labeled in a few vegetable crops with more to follow in the coming year. For now it can be used in sweetcorn beets mustard greens turnips and spinach. the whole cole crop family will be added next year. Its popularity is due to the fact that its most effective in eradicating canada thistle, we found that applying as little as three tablespoons per acre once in the spring and again in the fall you can completely eliminate thistle in one growing season.
At our monthly vegetable grower meeting I asked if this is the same clopyralid that mucked up the compost so many folks have been using?
They said yes. It had been labeled in turf and used on golf courses, school yards power company right of ways and in suburbia by commercial landscapers none of whom minded the $500 a gallon price tag.

I was told the company will remove the turf label! Chemical companies don't like to acknowledge these things but I think its in response to the out cry of organic gardeners and towns looking to unload all their compost.

Labeled crops would not be harmed by the compost, clopyralid kills composite plants and legumes...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.