[Market-farming] Frozen meat maximum holding time

Dave Lilligren dave at lilligren.com
Fri Jan 31 16:30:28 EST 2003

Rick:

For optimum quality, you can keep beef frozen, at or below 0 degrees
Fahrenheit, for up to six months.  Some experts say you can keep beef for up
to 12 months, but I don't know for sure if it will retain the same quality.

What I've read doesn't specify the wrapping.  I believe that if you
double-wrap your beef, you should be able to keep the quality longer.  The
best way to package beef would be to vacuum pack it.  Then, I know, by
experience, that the quality will still be there one year from now.

I stumbled across Purdue University's page that talks about preserving all
kinds of meat.  Here's the URL:
http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/freezing_and_storage.html

Regarding that web page, the one thing with which I disagree is that they
give the same length of time for ground beef as they do for regular beef.
Other sites state that ground beef's keep time is about half of regular
beef.

Hope this helps!

Dave Lilligren
Sandstone, MN