[Market-farming] Re: Paper Mulches

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Wed Jan 29 11:47:02 EST 2003

Phil,
	I was part of some research on mulches a
few years ago. Mark Schonbeck ran the
experiment. on a SARE grant I think. Let me
know if you need the details. One year we had
on one of our patches an oiled kraft paper
mulch. The theory was that the oil (waste
cooking oil) would make the paper last longer
out in the field. However, it also made the paper
translucent, and the weeds underneath grew
gang-busters. They did not get solarized and
die. They just grew and grew, eventually tearing
the paper round the edges, where it was buried
in soil. Then the paper lifted up on top of the
weeds. It was quite a site. We got the OK to
cover the paper with hay to kill off theweeds
and restor order. Be warned!
	I've never tried the commercial planters'
paper. It seems rather expensive.
	Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, central VA