[Market-farming] Re: Row covers and hoops

Rick Williams mrfarm at frontiernet.net
Sun Jan 26 22:44:35 EST 2003

Rick H. wrote:
> The only disadvantage I
> can see in
> using the hi-tensile is that it is very difficult to cut with common wire
> pliers.  Bolt cutters make an easy job of it though.

I would have to agree with Rick that this type of wire should work well and
is exceptionally low cost, as low as 1.5 cents per foot, and has a temper to
it unlike soft drawn materials. It can be bought in smaller rolls, and I
have seen it in 2000 foot ones. Usually, we have paid around $60 for the
4000 ft roll. It is heavy in that size, just over 100 pounds.

If you knew a grazier and only needed a few hundred feet, I bet they would
give you some. In fact, we often have thrown out "scraps" that would have
made a number of supports.

There is a reasonably priced cutter from Dare Products that are often sold
at fencing suppliers that cuts the wire much better than any regular plier.
If you attempt to use conventional cutters, the shock on your hands is quite
strong and it will ruin the cutting edge of many cutting tools.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce