[Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe just provoking:)

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Sun Jan 26 22:21:49 EST 2003

>If you don't believe me look what's happened to Mexico since NAFTA.
>Most of the Florida winter tomato growers are now out of business.
>Winter tomatoes have moved to Mexico.  And was this good for the
>Mexican farmers (obviously it wasn't good for the Florida grower
>unless they sold their farm land to build townhouses on)?  No, they
>were forced off their land and the land the family peasant farmers
>worked has been turned into agricorporations,  using labor that is
>being paid an unliveable wage, even in Mexico.

Leigh - This move actually started BEFORE NAFTA, due to Florida
weather becoming increasingly 'unpredictable.' Of course, the
multi-nationals must have been psychic, because NAFTA sort of sewed
up the value of being in Mexico for them.

I have heard that besides running traditional farmers off from their
land that the multi-nationals also received guarantees of
'impossible' quantities of water. Do you know anything about this?

-Allan