[Market-farming] Re: Row covers and hoops

Rick Hopkins rdhopkins at americanpasturage.com
Sun Jan 26 22:22:06 EST 2003

I am not a market-gardener per se, but in "listening" to the discussion on
row covers using #9 wire I would make a suggestion.  The 12.5 gauge
hi-tensile smooth wire electric fencing is much stronger and will hold its
shape better than #9 wire.  It is galvanized and can be purchased in 1/2
mile rolls for less than $40.

I am debating on using some row covers this year on some early crops and may
experiment with the hi-tensile wire as we use it regularly on permanent and
semi-permanent fencing around the farm.  The only disadvantage I can see in
using the hi-tensile is that it is very difficult to cut with common wire
pliers.  Bolt cutters make an easy job of it though.

Rick H.