[Market-farming] Direct Marketing Deliveries

John O'Donnell johno at otechsystems.com
Wed Jan 15 20:15:40 EST 2003

Hi,
I try and sell quarters and halves if possible ahead before my October or
November process date.  Then, I try and deliver to those I can, and pick up
a check at that time.  It's worked out well so far, since a high qualitiy
processor is not too close, and I don't feel comfortable asking customers to
make the trip there.  After that I market packages ( 10 or 20 lbs) of beef
and usually ask people to pick up at the farm.  (I do have an off farm job
where I travel around, so sometimes I also deliver packages of beef.  )

On an earlier post I noticed your prices.  My prices are a lot higher than
those I saw.  I'm trying to raise (and market) a premium product, and I
price the product that way (Grass fed).  Therefore, delivery is a nice way
to reinforce to the customer that they are getting something special.

Sincerely,
John O'Donnell