[Market-farming] Re: Hoophouse sides &

PATRICIASHERBS at aol.com PATRICIASHERBS at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 13:32:55 EST 2003

Hi Jim,
    I've been using Agra-Lock strips for securing for 8-10 years now.  Last
fall, when we were topping my new house I asked around about the Spring-Lock
(what I'm guessing is called Wiggle-Wire in your area).  My plan is to take
the whole top off seasonally, and just use shade cloth for the summer.   I
heard from other growers, and one of the catalog reps-  that the Spring-Lock
doesn't hold up well to removal and reuse.   Others may be reusing it fine.
(??)   I did follow the advice I received, and stayed with Agra-Lock.
    I have not used the vented sides.  I have seen the inflatable curtains,
and solid poly sides used very conveniently.  In the catalogs, I've also seen
just rolling up the 6 mil poly sides with motors or hand cranks.   Some good
info about this is in the Farm-Tek catalog. ( http://www.farmtek.com )  I
know absolutely nothing about doing business with this company, other than I
started receiving their catalogs last fall.   And they have items I am
interested in.   I have a couple of other catalog names I could pass on, if
you desire more info.
    I also really appreciate the answering machine!    Sometimes when I get
feeling 'overwhelmed',  I remind myself I could be back working for someone
else, and having the extra gravy of my hard work (sometimes 70 hour weeks),
go to them instead of me.  It's an incentive. Though now it can be 70+
hours.
    I  think the more info shared on groups like this- the more we can help
ourselves and each other.
Best Wishes-
Patricia Mattson
http://theherbgarden.biz