[Market-farming] Re: Prices

OakCamp2 at aol.com OakCamp2 at aol.com
Thu Jan 9 20:24:56 EST 2003

In a message dated 1/9/2003 1:44:49 PM Central Standard Time,
liz at laughingbrookfarm.com writes:

> a list member concerned that the FTC would see
> these discussions as "price-fixing". I understand the point, up to a point,
> BUT.....

Trade magazines for the greenhouse industry routinely publish wholesale and
retail prices for different regions of the country to offer a glimpse of what
the industry is receiving for its' goods.  I think if they can do it then
there isn't a problem here. ;-)

We sell 3 1/2" potted herbs for $2.50 ea.  We sell over 100 different kinds,
both perennial and annual herbs. Our season lasts 8 to 10 weeks, depending on
the weather here in WI, and we make over 10K doing just one market.  Closer
to the end of our season we have a sale on what's left with a 3 for $6
promotion.
Every year we have expanded our selection and quantity of herbs for our
customers, and every year it gets better.  We have many requests to provide
retail at our farm, but so far I have resisted!  That's such a big commitment
and I'm not ready to make it yet.  Maybe someday.......hmmmm.  What kind of
life do you have with people coming to your home?  Love the discussion with
this topic!

Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, WI