[Market-farming] Louisville-Kentuckyana Contacts Sought

Fred's Notebook regenerative at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 8 14:07:11 EST 2003

Hey all!  Best of luck in 20O3!

I post about this time each year, looking for contacts in a particular
area.  I'm a vice-president of the National Federation of the Blind's
Agriculture & Equestrian Division.  This June-July, we're holding our
annual convention/conference.  Last Summer, we met in the same area, and
only found a bedraggled green grocer in downtown Louisville.  We're hoping
to do better this year.

In the past, we've found CSA's, organic farms, microbreweries, wineries and
farmers markets.  We buy a load of produce to snack on durin our meeting,
and often visit during our field trip day.  Can you suggest any ag-related
enterprises we may want to patronize and/or tour?

Blind farmers?  Blind ranchers?  That's right!  About 2/3rds of Americans
are (or will become) significantly visually-impaired.  About half of
America's farmers are legally blind and/or otherwise "disabled."  We find
that networking with other blind and visually-impaired ag folks, we learn
how to improve our productivity.  In fact, the average blind employee
performs as well (or better) tthan the average sighted employee.  All it
takes are minor accommodations and appropriate training.  As our farmers
age, they can continue to be successful in the industry.

Please post to the list, or to me at
<regenerative at earthlink.net>
Fred Chambers
near San Diego