[Market-farming] Re: Consumer Spending

PATRICIASHERBS at aol.com PATRICIASHERBS at aol.com
Wed Jan 8 13:39:56 EST 2003

 Thanks for the input everyone.
  Potted plants are a whole different game than providing food staple to the
people. While edibles can bridge the gap  somewhat- of providing 'grow your
own' possibilities.  Ornamentals feed the soul.   Which, we do need, but may
not always be able to justify the cost of.
   My small business has only survived & grown because I do cater to a niche
market.  Plus I do over 95% of my own propagating.  Which is high.  My
consumer jumpiness may be in part to seeing 2 well established, larger
greenhouse/nurseries go out of business in the area.  Sure, there are lots of
factors that could have been involved with them.   We are now looking at
placing a bid with the foreclosure bank, for a substantial amount of nursery
stock from the latest one.  Even really good deals can add up the dollar
amounts.   Also, most of us probably have relatives or friends that have been
laid off,  and know others who lost major chunks of savings in the stock
market.   I'm sure across the country, it also has a lot to do with regional
economies.

   I usually do a mix of pot sizes- 2 1/2" rose pots, 3 1/2", 4", 5",  1 & 2
gallons.   Simple rule:  The smaller the pot, the more I make per flat.  The
more flats, the more I make.   Once the warm weather breaks, then the pot
sizes all just add up sales.   General prices start at-
   2 1/2" @ $1.99 each x 36 per flat =$71.64     3 1/2" @ $2.49 each x 18 per
flat = $44.82
Specialty plants can be double both of the above.   Then the catch is-  the
smaller the pot, the much more labor intensive it is.   The larger pots are
really appreciated in the heat of summer.  They on the most part, can just
sit & grow until they find a new home.  Also perennial selling is much easier
in bloom.

    So no one is planning now on changing much for 2003?
  My planned changes so far-  to do local wholesale again,  offer
contractor's discounts, double my advertising budget, and improve my signage
everywhere on everything.
   I'm pleased to hear from other plant & herb growers.  I hope we can keep
these discussions on going.   What have you found to be the most successful
tool/promo on your mailing lists or web sites?    What are your pot prices?

Thanks-
Patricia Mattson
The Herb Garden
http://theherbgarden.biz