[Market-farming] Consumer Spending

OakCamp2 at aol.com OakCamp2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 8 10:51:27 EST 2003

Hi Patricia,
I also have an herb farm, it's always nice to talk to a fellow "herbie".

>Will they still pay the extra for larger 1 gallon - 2 gallon  plants?   or
should I focus more on the cheaper 3 1/2" pots? <

Do you want to haul 1 to 2 gallon pots? They are heavier, take up more room
in the truck and may limit the number of plants you can take to each market.
Can you make more money selling this size vs. the smaller size?  Consider the
costs involved in getting to the market and then make a break even analysis
that will determine the minimum number of plants that need to be sold.
Perhaps your volume will increase during market sales because people will be
able to carry more 3 1/2" pots than the 1 gallon pots.  Have you looked at
what other pot sizes are being sold at each market?  Maybe you can develop a
niche with the pot you provide.  Perhaps you may consider only selling one
type of potted herb at your farm and another type for the markets.  Let
people know about this service at the markets by providing a pamphlet with
directions to your farm. Or, simply try it one way (1 gallon pots) one week
and switch to the 3 1/2" pots the next week.  Afterward, do a cost analysis
again and let the numbers, in sales, speak for themselves.  Every region is
different, as is every market, and every vendor.  Lots to think about and
with lots of experiences you will be able to provide the answer to that
question.
Great question!  Really got me thinking about my operation, too!

Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, WI