[Market-farming] Consumer Spending

Ed Clifford hmdrawrod at citlink.net
Tue Jan 7 12:24:30 EST 2003

Patricia,
         I am a small vegetable farmer in NY's Mohawk Valley. So I can't speak with the authority of a bedding plant grower. I just wonder how you can compete with the big box stores with the 3.5 or 4" pots. I would think you would do better with the larger containers and specializing in rare varieties. The Financial crunch you speak of is largely a matter of perception for most people. The people who are hurt most by it of course are those thrown out of work. You'd have to examine your own market and locality to see what is happening in your area. People do start to cut back on "frivolous " things. I guess you have to sell the aesthetic benefits of ornamentals, I personally have found them to be cheap in comparison to a bland landscape.
                                                         Ed
                                              Shale Rock Farm