[Market-farming] Consumer Spending

PATRICIASHERBS at aol.com PATRICIASHERBS at aol.com
Mon Jan 6 15:07:11 EST 2003

   I enjoyed reading about Bob's operation.  I joined this list in late fall,
so I missed any seasonal discussions on plants,    greenhouses, and
everything in between.  We knew we weren't up to the task of taking over our
my families 800+ acre farm.   But 20-40 acres are in the future.  For right
now, I'm mainly offering potted plants; Herbs, Perennials, Edibles, etc.  The
greenhouse is open for sales, and I will be doing 2-3 farmers markets.

   My dilemma-  with folks everywhere feeling the financial crunch,  how
could it effect sales?
  Gardeners traditionally are heavy spenders for their yards, and many like
'instant gratification.'   Will they still pay the extra for larger 1 gallon
- 2 gallon  plants?   or should I focus more on the cheaper 3 1/2" pots?
I've been doing a mix of both.   Last fall,  we purchased 7 more rolling
plant racks with adjustable shelves for hauling plants to markets.  Thus
being more efficient,  I had planned to offer a much higher percentage
available only in the larger pots.   I'm questioning that plan now- putting
too many higher priced eggs in one basket theory.

What changes are other plant growers thinking about and/or making this
season?
What marketing thoughts or ideas do you all have for the 2003 economy?
Thanks-

Patricia Mattson
The Herb Garden
http://theherbgarden.biz