[Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

Rick Hopkins rdhopkins at americanpasturage.com
Sat Jan 4 00:38:34 EST 2003

First of all it is Rick H. not Steve H.

Due to my high exposure with agency, legislators, and continuous battle with
the commodity groups I pay the checkoff as required.  I cannot afford to be
used for an example.  Same applies for the sales tax which most do not pay.

You somehow have the uncanny handicap of reading something into others
posts.  I do not support the commodity groups, I am in continuous conflict
with them from pork, dairy, beef, poultry, and even some of the grain crops.
What I said was I was in favor of the beef checkoff if the grass farmers
were to get their share.

You obviously have the same trouble reading the law as it is perfectly clear
as to when checkoff collection is required and who is to pay it.  It does
give the option of the buyer paying it, but if he defaults the seller is at
risk.

I think it humorous that you completely missed the point on the vaccinations
and branding of dairy animals.  If I had my way, all of the expended
chemical laden carcasses would be disposed of by incineration on the farm
they died on instead of ending up in our kid's stomachs under the golden
arches.

Rick H.