[Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

HackettShark at aol.com HackettShark at aol.com
Fri Jan 3 08:52:41 EST 2003

In a message dated 1/3/03 6:39:53 AM Central Standard Time, rbfarr at erols.com
writes:

> I'm a little confused about the govt. regulations here.

Robert, here in Iowa Meat can be sold at farmers market if it has been
slaughtered at astute or federal inspected plant, but no one is allowed to
sell beef or pork without a state or Federal stamp on the meat.  No home
butchered meats are allowed to be sold anywhere in the state.  Meat products
can be packaged only with the operators having a processors licenses and
state and county inspection.

Some states are a little more lax than others, thank goodness, but I want all
the meat I buy to be inspected by a good processor, I grew up with the
neighbors hanging hogs and cattle in a crib alley over night to cool out then
cutting up the next few days.  Do any of you now what kind of critters live
in the crib, that only come out at night.

Phil from Iowa