[Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

Rick Hopkins rdhopkins at americanpasturage.com
Thu Jan 2 22:20:52 EST 2003

Rick,

I agree with your position on the sustainability of shipping meat, however
without cooperation from producers around the country who would list with
our Homestead Foods project we are destined to try and satisfy out of state
requests.

You might check and see, but there is a loop hole in the state inspection.
If the purchase is made in the state, i.e. a form of payment made and the
appropriate sales tax paid (you do pay sales tax, right?), then a second
transaction can be made for the transportation costs.

Another reminder is that you are also obligated to pay the beef checkoff
funds on animals you slaughter.

Rick H.