[Market-farming] Patterns in direct market sales of meat

Del Williams delannw at dlogue.net
Thu Jan 2 17:20:34 EST 2003

I don't know if this makes any difference, but each year that someone calls I end up buying a 4-H lamb.  I love lamb but I don't really know all the families that raise them.  One person organizes the 4-H sale every year and as long as he calls, I buy one.

For those slump times, I'd call customers.  It isn't that people aren't interested.  I'm usually out by fair time.  So I'm happy he calls and I let him pick out the lamb for me.  I just give the general specs.

This year he sent a letter along with the bill, telling me about the lamb, the family and the 4-H member who raised it. That was really nice.  He even added the phone number of the family.  After I made a few meals with lamb I called and told them how good it was.  And thanked that 4-H member for raising a good lamb.  A tasty lamb?

To me, this is what is great about direct marketing.  The customer has the opportunity to say, I enjoyed the 'fruits' of your labor.

Del Williams
Clifton, IL